August 16, 2008

Could you even call it camping?










So, you may or may not have heard what happened to us on our first camping trip in 3 years. I'll be brief about it because, besides being embarassing for someone from Utah, there's a lot more detail than I have the stomach to go into for Pride's sake:


--Showed up at dusk. Didn't want to, but got a late start anyway


--Realized when we got there that we forgot flashlights


--Attempted putting up the tent in headlights via Xterra


--Laid out tent, could not find tent poles anywhere


--Searched grounds for 10min


--Debated following choices: 1) go home (we already paid $20 for the campsite), 2) run to Wal-Mart and buy cheap tent, 3) sleep in car


--Turns out, we weren't sure what we were going to do so we decided to at least make a fire and have smores with the girls


--I neglected to buy firewood


--Bought cheap firewood at the ranger station (10 pieces for 5 bucks)


--Tried to light fire--wood was damp


--Tried to light fire again and again and again--eventually the wood would burn, but then be out in 2 minutes


--Half-laughed at all the bad luck we were having


--Found some determination to wonder the woods (clean of firewood and branches, by the way) in the dark for small bushes and trees I could break out of the ground to start a fire with.


--Reaped the benefits of that determination--I hauled a TON of branches to the pit just to start a fire for smores so I could call the night a success somehow and enjoy at least one minute of the trip with the girls (who were pretty tired at this point)


--Ate smores (I don't like smores--what's the point? They're not that good...)


--Decided we were done and packed up


--Before I left I spoke with the Scout Troop leader next to me and offered the firewood I had on the condition he used one piece of it with 3 good pieces, then he might gain some use out of it


--Scout Leader offered me a tent, lantern, food--SUCCESS!


--Set up camp with someone else's stuff and called it a night


--Woke up and the Scouts fed us too


--Enjoyed the rest of the day hiking and spending time in the woods

3 comments:

Haddorkus said...

Yeah scouts! Who knew that they would be prepared for unprepared campers. Disastrous trips rule because they make the best stories. If you had just gone camping, I would've been like, yawn.

Pure Golding said...

If you had earned your Eagle you would have "been prepared"! Ken laughed at that one! I guess I know your next calling! Watch out!and Good luck!

MNATTH said...

You really should be ashamed, Dave. Except, maybe that's just your luck. Didn't the last time you went camping you forgot a bunch of stuff too...and that time when you and I and Jen went. We forgot matches. Yeah-the scouts came in handy that time too!