May 7, 2009

Maya's Asthma Attack

Apparently Maya gets these Cold-induced asthma attacks. I was really worried about her because she was breathing poorly after her recital. In fact her heart was racing super fast because she wasn't getting enough oxygen through her body with the shallow breathing. I slept that night with her on my chest so I could see if sleeping would relax her, but after several hours, her heart was still going at a 2x/3x pace. I went into the ER.
I absolutely hate the ER. Texans think their health care is good, because the specialist care in houston is worldclass. The fact is, the regular hospital care is awful. I waited with Maya for four hours in the ER waiting room before they saw us--this was at 4 or 5 AM--the slowest time for the ER, yet they still didn't get us in forever. We were at the hospital another 2 or 3 hours--you lose track when you wait that long.
Maya came home with breathing treatments and all that goodstuff. This is a picture of her falling asleep during one of them.

2 comments:

littlegloria TREASURESREBORN said...

I'm sooooo sorry Maya (or any child, including you, Dave) has to go through asthma trauma. It was hahroble for me sometimes having to sleep upright with my arms above my head. Try that all night!!

Stina said...

Austin has the same thing! I'm glad you guys figured it out. it took us a year before a doctor finally diagnosed it!