May 14, 2010

The Tumbler

Talk about your life events. Four kids means we cannot fit into the Xterra anymore. We love our Xterra, but had to give it up. So, it was time to upgrade. I made this process as painful as I possibly could. I spent hours and hours online researching vehicles--6-plus passenger. It turns out that, unless you're going for a monster (like the Armada or Suburban), that most crossovers have better gas mileage and even more cargo room than mid-size SUVs. Who knew?! Anyway, I quickly centered in on the GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse as the leading car (among a Mazda, Honda, and potentially an Acura). Here was the plan: save up (use tax return) for a down payment, then as soon as 0% financing is available, buy the vehicle. We looked at several vehicles and still liked the Acadia/Traverse (Acadia more for the look and the features, but it was more expensive). No sooner had we looked at them, than we found a 0% for 48 months on the Acadia/Traverse. In fact, it was not even publicised well. I found it online, but none of the dealers even knew about it. Long story shorter, the Acadia we wanted was shipped to Dallas the day before we visited the dealer. I played several dealers to see who would be the most willing to help me find another one like it, but in all of Houston, it did not exist. So, we settled with a blue Traverse. We like it just fine though and it was much cheaper. So, below is a picture of Karen in front of the 'Tumbler'. It's is deceptively big and has taken some time to adjust to it.

Here's the best part. Since we financed st 0% for 48 months, our payment was higher than expected. No sooner than Toyota had the recalls and then placed all their vehicles on 0% for 60 months, that all other car companies followed suit. Less than a month later, the Acadia and Traverse were 0% for 60 months (and probably still are). Which means we could have afforded the Acadia after all...grrr.

1 comment:

M A Haddox said...

Interesting. I like the purchase, but I know how not getting exactly what you want in a vehicle can be a little annoying.

I like our Hyundai Elantra, but we really wanted a Sonata, as a full-size is just always better than a mid-size. Plus, the Sonata had a really nice cut that I admired. We've had the car for 3½ years now, but there are still moments I wish we could "trade up." We won't ever, because it would be completely illogical and a move done by the heart, and not the mind -- or wallet.

Anyway, just saying, "C'est dommage," brother.