May 22, 2010

Ezra Lehi Haddox

Karen and I scheduled this kid the day before the due date. She labored for about six hours before Ezra was born. Things went pretty slow--just ask Karen.

This is right after the nurses cleaned the baby up and Karen got to hold him for the second time--just much longer this time.

He makes this face all the time.

Although all our babies look the same, Ezra looked most like Savannah when he was born. He was 8 lb 6 oz and 20 in long. He is pretty quiet too--not a crier--a good kid. We're blessed.

So, despite there being a band named Better Than Ezra, I actually got his name while riding a bus at BYU. It was the first and only time I rode the bus (it was packed--standing room only). While on the bus, I heard two guys talking. One explained how he had a friend who just had a baby and that thet named him Ezra. Both guys then expressed and agreed upon their dissatisfaction with the name choice. All I could think was, "Huh, I really like that name." So I told Karen about it and two or three kids later, here he is. His middle name I've had well before I ever met Karen; I decided on the concept as a teenager. I wanted to name my boys after Nephite Generals in the Book of Mormon. They were great men who fought for what was right and just and were leaders among their people. I wanted my boy's (if I were to have any) middle names to reflect theirs as a modern metaphor for standing up and fighting for what's right and just. I chose Lehi because I admire General Lehi in the scriptures. (It helped that he was a great strategist too!)

2 comments:

M A Haddox said...

I was making the "Better than Ezra" as a joke... but did you really not name him after the prophet?

Pure Golding said...

Well, I think he's adorable! What a precious little angel. Boys really are a blessing- so are girls but after having so many a boy is just icing on the cake!